Friday, February 5, 2010

Let's stay with FREEDOM...

According to existential-therapy.com (maybe not the most reliable place for information, but for the moment, just stick with me) this is what they have to say about freedom;

"Freedom, from an existential perspective, cannot be separated from responsibility. With freedom comes responsibility. Yet, it is common for many people to seek freedom while trying to avoid responsibility. While, at times, it appears that people may be able to succeed at this, there remains a psychological consequence. This consequence is often not very noticeable, but may find expression through guilt, anxiety, depression, or even anger."

So to separate freedom from responsibility doesn't actually work, which isn't what any of us want to hear. Even as children we almost seem to rebell agaist the idea of freedom and responsibility working together opposed to being separate entitites. In some essence I think that our ability to be free lies in our ability and willingness to achieve freedom status. Don't worry I think that true freedom is only found in Christ. However, in the freedom we have in Christ we are also faced with the challenge of "putting off the old self." In our old selves we desire freedom without taking the responsibility, but as new selves in Christ I think we can embrace the idea that we are free in Christ, but living it out is still a whole other level of freedom in christ. Many people claim their freedom in Christ, but do they actually live it out, embrace the freedom they have?

Did I / Do I embrace this freedom that Christ has for me and my life. In John 10:10 Jesus says "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." I know that I want life, especially life in full, but what does that even mean? How do I get life in full???? Jesus is of course the correct answer, but what does that really mean? In all my days at being a student of Christian education I have learned that Jesus is really the correct answer for many a question. However, the depth to which we are wiling to embrace this "Jesus-answer" is a whole other level of application. Jesus has life and is offering it to me, but is there a piece of this where I need to actually accept the gift of life and walk in it?

That then brings up a whole other question, what does it mean to walk in the life that He offers??? So I'm not God and don't claim to be at all, but I'm starting to believe that part of walking in that life is DOING OUR BUSINESS!!!! SERIOUSLY

No comments:

Post a Comment