It’s amazing how on days when I’m supposed to be resting and recuperating that you’re bound to find me up still trying to be productive. Growing up sick days weren’t for resting; they were for making the most of your day even if you were under-the-weather. So today, this lovely Monday morning when I’ve officially been given the day off from everywhere, what do I do? I of course make a list of errands that absolutely must be done today or else…Don’t get me wrong, there really were two things on that list that needed to be done ASAP that were supposed to be done on Saturday. Thus in my desire to be superwoman I made myself presentable, ready to face a day of errands. Let’s just say my pride definitely lost this go round. After all is said and done I was able to make it to the bank & the post office and that’s it. Feeling absolutely horrible and weak all over, I suckered up my pride and drove home.
As I drove home feeling defeated and very unproductive I hear the whispers of my Jesus reminding me of what it means to be superwoman; Reminding me that today is not about being productive or accomplishing this list or any of the other lists that I have going on in my head at the moment; it’s about being superwoman and knowing when it’s ok to spend the day in your pj’s sleeping, watching movies, and doing absolutely nothing at all. I of course am ready to object because my definition of superwoman does not match up with His. And yet, I knew that in the end He would win, not a vicious or vindictive win, but rather a win of love, concern, and grace. A win that means I will be taken care of, a win that makes me a winner too, not the loser. A win that directly and lovingly sheds light on how much my view of superwoman is in constant need of a paradigm shift.
Therefore even though it’s quite difficult for me to do, I think I shall be superwoman today. I shall trade in my lesson plans, NCE study book, all my GRE workbooks & vocabulary cards, and all my to-do lists just to spend the rest of the day in my pj’s doing absolutely everything ( nothing) to be rested and recuperated. If I’m not rested and healthy then I’m not really making myself fully available to Jesus and all that He has planned for us this week…
No comments:
Post a Comment