Sunday, November 14, 2010

who will love me for me

This is one of the only songs I can quiet down an entire van of my girls with. I think this song hits their hearts because it touches the places where great loss has been inflicted into their lives. A song that stirs up old wounds, and hurts, a song that makes them cry, and on a good day reminds them how they are in the middle of a process of learning what it feels like to be loved on; a process that they so desperately want, but for right now is still so desperately painful.

As I hear this song, I think of my own journey and where God has moved mountains for me. I praise Him and glorify Him for having a heart to help me redeem this song in my own life. And now here I sit, now because of being willing to grieve, having access to love in ways that I never knew existed. a story of hope and redemption that God uses most days to help my girls learn more what love really means.


He cries in the corner where nobody sees
He’s the kid with the story no one would believe
He prays every night, “Dear God won’t you please
Could you send someone here who will love me?”

Who will love me for me
Not for what I have done or what I will become
Who will love me for me
‘Cause nobody has shown me what love
What love really means

Her office is shrinking a little each day
She’s the woman whose husband has run away
She’ll go to the gym after working today
Maybe if she was thinner
Then he would’ve stayed
And she says…

Who will love me for me?
Not for what I have done or what I will become
Who will love me for me?
‘Cause nobody has shown me what love, what love really means

He’s waiting to die as he sits all alone
He’s a man in a cell who regrets what he’s done
He utters a cry from the depths of his soul
“Oh Lord, forgive me, I want to go home”

Then he heard a voice somewhere deep inside
And it said
“I know you’ve murdered and I know you’ve lied
I have watched you suffer all of your life
And now that you’ll listen, I’ll tell you that I...”

I will love you for you
Not for what you have done or what you will become
I will love you for you
I will give you the love
The love that you never knew


This theme of this song has been a theme of life these days. I am surrounded by people who are broken and needing someone to show them what love really means. Its ironic for me most days that I'm in this position; this place to provide the loving, but that is where God has me. But the more I've embraced this journey of grief the more the love aspects fall more easily into place. Don't get me wrong most days I have no idea how I'm going to be able to be an example of love, but somehow most days God shows up and takes care of it. And thus I'm given the privilege of wiping tear stained faced, hugging crumpled spirits, and rejoicing in the daily victories of surviving. Really I simply get to live life with some of the Father's most treasured princesses, learning how to grieve and love along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment